In 1936 he completed his studies at Cass Technical High School in Detroit with the final exam, from 1937 to 1939, he was awarded a grant from the Cranbrook Academy of Arts. He then taught there a club for the Cranbrook metalwork, which he headed from 1939 to 1943.
Later he worked with Charles and Ray Eames at the Evans Products Company, where he developed technologies for the deformation of glue laminated plywood. After the war he worked briefly at the Plyformed Products Company of Chales and Ray Eames in Venice, California. The innovative wire chairs he designed in 1951 for Knoll International were such a great financial success that he presented the royalties to life and he was able to devote himself exclusively to sculpture.