(1917 - 19) he worked until 1922 as a draftsman in an architectural office in Rotterdam and then went to Berlin. In 1923 he attended the Bauhaus exhibition. In 1925 he went via Paris back to Amsterdam and designed his first cantilevered chair a year later.
His chair designs were shown at the 1928 Stuttgart exhibition "The chair". In 1927, he was next to Gerrit Rietveld and Hendrik Petrus Berlage, founding member of the Congrés Internationaux d`Architekture modernity.
From 1931 to 1932 he worked in the Soviet Union as a city planner. From 1948 to 1952 he taught architecture and design in Dresden and Berlin. In 1966 he retired from professional life and settled in Switzerland.