In 1896 he began to design furniture and, together with HJ for the Guthrie & Wells MacNair and Frances and Margaret Macdonald issue as "The Four" work.
In 1897 he won the competition to design a new art school in Glasgow. In the same year he was commissioned with the interior of Miss Cranstons Tea Rooms, Buchanan Street and the furniture design for their Tea Rooms in Glasgow Argyle Street. In 1900 he married Margaret Macdonald and took part in the exhibition of the Vienna Secession. In 1903 W. W. commissioned him the publisher Blackie building his Hill House in Helensburgh.
In 1904 he created for Miss Cranston the Tea Rooms in Willow Street. To his last major work, the library of the Glasgow School of Art (1909), little attention was paid. In 1916 he settled in London, before moving to France in 1923, where he devoted himself until his death in 1928, to painting.